Summer is here and the smell of steak is in the air. May 28 marks the official kick-off of grilling season and this means that it’s every man’s duty to bust out the apron and usher in the new season with good friends and a few worthy slabs of meat. While good eats and cold drinks are essential parts of all Memorial Day get-togethers, there’s no reason to stick to the basics and stop at the expected. Take a look at these Memorial Day party ideas and help us get summer rolling the right way from day one.
- Outdoor Iron Chef: So who really grills the best meat? Is it you? Is it your old college buddy who keeps the recipe for his marinade locked up like it belongs in Fort Knox? Rather than have the debate go undecided for another long summer, consider setting up a competition between you and your prong-wielding rivals to determine who’s really the boss. The other guests of the party can act as the judges, and a blind taste test can be set up so the rightful King of the Grill may assume his rightful throne at the head of the table.
- Blended Goodness: Ice cubes are great. They keep drinks cold. But nothing rivals the type of slushy goodness that is a blended drink slurped through a crisp straw on a hot summer day. Most people think that just because they’re away from home the idea of a blended beverage is already a lost cause, but this is simply not the case. For fifty bucks you can have a high-powered portable blender at your disposal and have a few pitchers of crowd-pleasing liquids assembled by all those not participating in the cook off.
- Concert in the Park: Do you play music? Do your friends play music? Do your friends have friends who would play music for a few free drinks and a well-cooked meal? Finding a few folks willing to bring acoustic guitars to the park to play some songs shouldn’t be very hard, and will certainly be way more interesting than bringing a regular boom box or iPod dock. Live music creates a perfect atmosphere for a day spent socializing with friends, and if you find the right musicians you may even be able to flex the golden pipes for a few sing-alongs before the day is done.
- Swing and a Whiff: Football season is still a few months off and full baseball gear may be too much for a casual game, but whiffle ball provides the perfect game for boys and girls alike. After taking some time to digest all those grilled meats, split up into teams and take the field for some plastic bat smacking and stolen bases. Whiffle ball sets are inexpensive to buy and give the kids a way to wear themselves out before it’s time to return home for schoolwork and bed.
- Pie in the Sky: When the sun begins to lower and the energy levels begin to fade, it is the perfect time to give the troops a delicious boost of sugar to rekindle morale before packing up and heading home. Pie is found at Memorial Day picnics nationwide, and though apple crisp or strawberry-rhubarb is a perfect way to end the day, adding a scoop of ice cream takes the dish to the next level. All it takes is transferring ice cream to a metal container, putting the container in a cooler, and surrounding it with bits of dry ice to keep it cold. This way the ice cream will stay frozen all day and will be a welcome surprise when you pull it out to accompany the day’s final treat as the sun sets.
TIP: Use WD-40® Multi-Use Product to keep the hinges of your BBQ well-lubricated and free of dirt and grime.